Friday 14 January 2011

Oops!

Haven’t written for a while been so busy with Christmas! Had a really good break and was nice to recover from concept development. Didn’t get much work done over the break to be honest, woops! Continued with designing which was fun, nice to do some of the creative stuff now!! No more writing woop woop! Kind of terrified to get my mark back now… Today we had a ‘materials review’ with Paul which was good, got some good contact names for things like leathers, heels and metal stamps. Also really randomly, got to go and meet a Norwegian cobbler yesterday with Julie! He had come over for a couple of weeks and was making some shoes at the John Lobb workshop near Piccadilly. Was such an odd guy, but really interesting to see the skill that goes into making handmade shoes. Such a cool opportunity! He was showing us how he carves his own lasts as well, which I was blown away by! The precision it takes seems impossible! So much skill.

Also over Christmas, my mum gave me the dental wax and I had a go at playing around with moulding toe caps! So difficult! Took them to show John today and he suggested some other techniques to try and also we worked out (because Im a bit stupid) that before we cast the toe caps, I have to make the upper so that we knoe the toe cap will fit properly. He explained to me the casting process (not quite sure I completely understood it!), but really excited about doing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment